What could be better poured over a brownie than brownie?
Perhaps warmed brownies (30 seconds in the microwave) with oozing golden pockets of golden caramel served with pools of rich cool double cream. Or a comforting toffee apple crumble blondie coated in a thick winter coat of school dinner style custard. This recipe blurs the line between dessert and accompaniment by fusing the two as one. If you, for some reason find yourself with some abandoned, un eaten brownie trimmings that need bringing back to life, this is the golden ticket.
- 100g Brownie
- 200ml Whole Milk
- 2 Free range egg yolks
- 50g vanilla caster sugar (regular caster sugar is fine)
- In a blender, blitz your brownie trimmings and milk
- Pour into a saucepan and gently warm on the stove for a couple of minutes until hot (not boiling)
- Whilst your milk mixture is warming, whisk together your sugar and egg yolks in a bowl, until combined and just starting to thicken
- Whisking continuously, add your steaming chocolate milk very slowly to your egg yolk mixture. Place a tea towel under the bowl to stop it from spinning off
- Pour your custard base back into the saucepan and stir continuously until it coats the back of a spoon
- Pour generously over brownies, bananas, ice cream or multiply the recipe a few times and bathe in the glorious chocolate lava.
We'd love to see your creations and what wonders you decided to cover in this brownie crème anglaise. Use #atmydinnertable